The CLULC offers a scholarship to a Latino student pursuing higher education at an accredited college or university, during the year 2021 – 2022. The applicant will be evaluated in the following areas: academic record, financial need, service to the community, school activities, letters of recommendation, and response to the essay question.
- Be a high school senior, undergraduate or graduate student
- Be a resident of Lake County
- Latino or of Latino descent
- Have and maintain a cumulative un-weighted GPA of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Have participated in community/volunteer activities
- Demonstrated financial aid
- Attend or be accepted into an accredited college of university
- Submit completed application form with all the required documents
- All qualifying students are encouraged to apply
Complete and Submit
- CLULC Scholarship Application
- Official school transcript
- Proof of acceptance to an accredited college or university for Fall 2021
- Two letters of recommendation provided by people not related to the applicant
- Applications must include letterhead and original signature
- Letters must not exceed one page
- Submit 500 to 750-word essay, typed and double spaced, describing yourself and how the scholarship will help you achieve your goals and how you may be able to use your education in the service of the Latino community of Lake County.
Application and all supplemental materials must be mailed and postmarked by the deadline, Wednesday, March 31, 2021 by 10:00 pm.
Please submit completed application and supporting materials to:
CLULC Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 174
Gurnee, IL 60031
- Application open date: Monday, February 15, 2021
- Application deadline: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
- Award notification date: TBA
- A selection committee, comprised of CLULC Board members, will review the scholarship applications.
- We will utilize a holistic review process, giving careful consideration to all credentials presented by the applicant.
- The committee will apply the included rubric to qualify the applicants.
- The highest-scoring students will be awarded scholarships.
- The winners will be officially notified by the CLULC President.
- The Scholarship award will be sent directly to the school of the student’s choice.
- Winners will be required to submit a photograph and short biography to be posted on CLULC’s website.
- Students who don’t qualify for the scholarship will be given a list of other potential scholarships.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered, and the applicant will not be notified about missing documents.
- The Coalición Latinos Unidos de Lake County awards scholarships to Lake County students of Hispanic/Latino descent who are pursuing their education in an accredited college or university.
- All scholarship recipients will be invited and expected to attend the Noche the Gala event following the award to be recognized, or arrange for a representative to attend in their place. If a Noche de Gala is not planned for that year, students will be required to attend an awards ceremony, or arrange a representative to attend in their place.
- Winners are required to submit a photograph and short biography to be posted on CLULC’s website.
- The full scholarship amount shall be paid directly to the bursar/financial aid office of the school the student is attending and will be applied towards tuition and fees.
Zion-Benton Township High School
College of Lake County
Major: Graphic Design
Rachel S. Garza
Grayslake North High School
Illinois State University
Major: Biological Science & Biomedical Science
Karolyna E. Padilla
Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep
College of Wooster
Major: Political Science
Maira Peters, Zion-Benton Township High School
Jacqueline Lopez, Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep
Jazmin Mandujano, North Park University
Edgar Padilla, Zion-Benton Township High School
Yesenia Mata, Round Lake High School
Adrian Perez, Waukegan High School
Yoselin Ramirez, Waukegan High School
Antonio Avila, Highland Park High School
Jacob Diaz, Mundelein High School
Osiris Garcia, Round Lake High School
Fabiola Ortiz, North Chicago High School
Jandelia Romerio, Waukegan High School
Evelyn S. Bello, Mundelein High School
Kevin Castro, Martin de Porres High School
Carlos Catalan, Waukegan High School
Mario Hidrogo, Grayslake High School
Alejandro Martinez, Waukegan High School
Jose Catalan, Waukegan High School
Melvin D. Flores, Waukegan High School
Carla R. Gutierrez,Waukegan High School
Nancy Gutierrez,Waukegan High School
Daniel Manjerres, Grayslake High School
Anna Osornio-Viveros, Waukegan High School